Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bento Box

Japanese food have always been a favorite of mine. Just the other day I ordered a bento box, the first I've had in many years. What I love about this little box is that instead of scanning the entire menu for something you want, the bento has it all. Rice, veggies and meat, all elaborately packaged in an appealing lunch box. Each type of food, presented in it's very own section of the container. My lunch consisted of aburaage, sushi rolls, a salad and of course, miso soup.


This brings me back to a week ago when I was at another Japanese restaurant. We had ordered a plate of sashimi combo which consisted of meat from five different seafood. The thought of eating raw meat was never very appealing to me, but then I figured, why not, it's food anyways. My first piece was sake, or salmon, I decided to start with a safe approach, knowing that it's on my list of top favorite fishes. With a little soy sauce and wasabi, it was the perfect bite. A smooth texture with a pleasant taste. How tasty, why don't I try another. I picked up a piece of hamachi, or yellowtail and into the soy sauce and wasabi it goes. Though different from the salmon, it was another yummy bite. I was excited and proceded to try saba, or mackerel. This one just tasted fishy. Too fishy.


I followed it by eating a couple California rolls and finishing my unagi don, marinated in a sweet barbeque sauce, and miso soup. What's a Japanese meal without miso soup?



Bento box and miso soup pictures uploaded from Google.com

No comments: