Sunday, September 16, 2007

Pizza Day

Awhile back, my class had the opportunity to make our own pizzas, which were to be baked in an oven created over the summer located at the UW farm. The dough and cheese were the only ingredients that were bought, and some ingredients that went into the pesto, but they were all from Trader Joe’s. A week earlier my group worked on making the pesto in the HUB’s kitchen. The basil we used was actually grown at the UW farm and given to our class when we went to go visit a few days earlier. Pesto is one of those foods that are easy to make, yet tastes delicious. I couldn’t get enough of it, even if I did have garlic breath afterwards.

The veggies we used as toppings were picked that morning at the UW farm and placed on a cutting board for us to decide how much and which types we wanted to go on our pizzas. I ended up putting tomatoes, bell peppers and zucchini on top, with a sprinkle of cheese over everything.

Unfortunately, the dough we had rolled out earlier stuck to our paper plates, but with some tugging and patience, we all got ours off and into the oven. Flour was a lifesaver that day. Several minutes in the new oven and with Keith’s help, we all got to taste our own pizzas. Crafted by hand and made locally. I got my serving of vegetables that day.

It was quite simple and tasty, but more importantly, we knew where our food came from, the majority of it. Organic and fresh so we didn’t have to wonder how many days it had spent in the back of a truck, traveling from who knows where. I’ll have to try to make my own pizza once I get home.

No comments: